Intresting facts about Banyan tree
- Banyan tree is a good source of oxygen.
- Banyan tree is an species of fig trees. There are more than 750 species of fig trees.
- Ficus benghalensis or Indian banyan is the national tree of india.
- More common species Ficus microcarpa is found in China, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, Taiwan, the Malay Archipelago, New Guinea, Australia, Ryukyu Islands and New Caledonia.
- Banyan tree was called vat-vriksha ( In sanskrit ) , Later British named it as banyan tree.
- Other species of fig tree like Ficus citrifolia,Ficus aurea, Ficus pertusa ( American banyan ) is found in many parts of america.
- The largest banyan tree in the world is found in Howrah, India. It is named as “The Great Banyan”. It is over 250 years old. The area occupied by the tree is about 18,918 square metres.
- The Banyan tree begins life as an epiphyte (a plant that grows on another plant), germinating in the crevices (pores) of a host tree or other structure.
As it grows, the banyan tree produces aerial roots that hang down and take root wherever they touch the ground. These thick roots actually make the tree appear to have several trunks.
- The leaves of Banyan tree are huge, rugged, shiny green and circular fit as a fiddle. Like the greater part of the fig-trees, the leaf bud is secured by two huge scales. As the leaf builds up the scales fall. Youthful leaves have an appealing rosy tinge.
- More seasoned banyan trees have flying prop roots that develop into thick woody trunks which, with age, can end up undefined from the primary trunk. Old trees can spread out horizontally utilizing these prop roots to cover a wide region.
- The banyan tree of tropical Asia sends down from its branches incredible quantities of shoots, which flourish and turn out to be new trunks. A solitary tree along these lines may spread over an extensive region. An example in the Indian Botanic Garden close Calcutta is believed to be more than 200 years of age. It has around 230 trunks as expansive as oak trees and around 3,000 smaller ones.
- Banyan tree has important religious values in Hiduism & buddhism. In hiduism it has been mentioned in many scriptures & in vedas. It is believed that Lord Buddha is believed to have sat under a Banyan tree for seven days; after attaining enlightenment.
- Banyan Tree has many medical values as well. It’s bark and leaf buds is used to to stop bleeding.The leaf buds of Banyan are also useful in the treatment of chronic diarrhoea and dysentery.Tender roots of Banyan are considered beneficial in the treatment of female sterility.
- Cleaning the teeth with the aerial roots of the Banyan is beneficial in preventing teeth and gum disorders.
- Tender roots of Banyan are useful in treating infertility in a female.